J.W. Nixon first opened its doors September 1964. The first graduating class was the Class of 1965. Initially, Nixon served as a junior high/high school, which included 7th-12th grades. The original campus included the administration/library building, the A,B,C,and D buildings, as well as the science wing.

The school property consisted of 20 acres and the cost of construction was $1,047,568. Mr. W.E. Lockey served as Nixon's first principal. The campus is named after Mr. Joseph W. Nixon who served as the District’s Superintendent from 1946 to 1973.

Over the years, the school has gone through several improvements. Presently, Nixon High School is undergoing a $40 million renovation. Older buildings on campus will be demolished to create a reconfigured two-story building centered about a U-shaped courtyard. Funds for the project are mostly derived from a construction bond package approved by voters.  Along with new classrooms, Nixon HS will have a new Tennis Complex and Track & Field Complex.



Nixon High School

Nixon History

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.