J.W. Nixon first opened its doors September
1964. The first graduating class was the Class of 1965. Initially, Nixon
served as a junior high/high school, which included 7th-12th grades.
The original campus included the administration/library building, the
A,B,C,and D buildings, as well as the science wing.
school property consisted of 20 acres and the cost of construction was
$1,047,568. Mr. W.E. Lockey served as Nixon's first principal. The
campus is named after Mr. Joseph W. Nixon who served as the District’s
Superintendent from 1946 to 1973.
the years, the school has gone through several improvements. Presently,
Nixon High School is undergoing a $40 million renovation. Older
buildings on campus will be demolished to create a reconfigured
two-story building centered about a U-shaped courtyard. Funds for the
project are mostly derived from a construction bond package approved by
voters. Along with new classrooms, Nixon HS will have a new Tennis
Complex and Track & Field Complex.